Course Schedule and Duration:
Online delivery over Zoom on the 28th October, from 9.30am to 1pm
This short 3.5 hour online programme is aimed at all staff identified as infection control link/champions in your organisation and all staff with infection control input with residents /service users or nurses interested in infection prevention and control standards. The course will identify key areas relevant to the new focused HIQA infection control guidelines/inspections commencing October 2021. The course will outline the actions of Theme I and 2 , as person centred care and effective care with particular reference to residents input and assessments. In addition theme 3 will discuss Risk assessments and safety and the importance of theme 5 with clear leadership and governance in your facility with reference to infection control Huddle, meetings, Forums, clear communication and accountability within your facility in this area of care provision. We will discuss Antimicrobial Stewardship/ Surveillance and The investigation of relevant Infections in your facility with the importance of a register to outline and linkage to your assessment and care planning. The course utilises infection control eight themes as a guide: identifying key areas in infection prevention, control and infection control resources in line with standards and use and review of equipment , cleaning schedules and clear accountability will be reviewed. This course will support all staff in identifying their strengths and providing support with short, medium and long-term goals within the role of infection control champions in their clinical area.
Aims and Objectives
- To outline national and regulatory requirements in relation to ICP practices utilising 8 themes From HIQA infection control standards as a guide
- Identify Infection Control Action Plan and SMART short, medium, long term goals for the time period identified for your facility with your team and resident’s needs.
- Implement Audit Schedule in Priority Key areas within the organisation using How, What, When, Where and Who?
- Discuss the importance of Contingency plan and outbreak plan- and location and template
- Recap on Standard Precautions based on 2018 and 2021 community guidelines inclusive of residents placement, safe injection practices, occupational safety to name a few.
- Guide Provision to devise and update Infection prevention and control Guidelines based on National and International Standards
- Discuss the importance of infection prevention and control in the healthcare area, in providing a healthy environment for patients/residents/service users, staff and visitors.
- Discuss Antimicrobial Stewardship/ Surveillance and The investigation of relevant Infections and the register that is required in each facilities
- Outline Infection control and relevant re care plans such Resident on Eye drops, self administering of Inhalers, Person with a Catheter, use of retractable needles in all services, link to breathing and circulation and elimination care plans and all plans as required and indicated by national standards
|9.30 am||Welcome On line introductions-|
|9.30am-11.05am||Link staff/ Champion Overview/staff roles
8 themes- Overview of Infection Control- standards national and internal overview-Background to HIQA (2018) and (2020) ICP in Within your settings- 8 themes and application in facility
Overview of Feedback from facilities to date: a snapshot
|11.05am-11.30am||Infection Control Plan- template provision and overview of each theme / domain using SMART objectives within a timeframe.|
|11.35am-12.pm|| Practical review of triangulation in this area namely
Observation, Communication and documentation. How these three areas area required to be consistent in our facilities Audit Schedule within 8 themes-Overview Of key Priority Areas
Infection Control Surveillance with the organisation with relevance to antimicrobial stewardship and register. Location and linkage to medication and care plans
|12pm-12.15pm||Care planning linkage and action plan for our facility|
|12.15pm-12.30pm||Infection Control Contingency plan/Outbreak Plan- key points and resources available|
|12.30pm-12.45pm||Infection Control Policies and procedure: a guide to updating|
|12.45pm-13.00pm||Action plan as key infection control staff Short/medium/long term goals
Close, Questions & Answers, Evaluation & Feedback.