Master of Arts in Leadership in Early Years Education and Care – Two-years part time
Limited Places Available for Year 1 & Year 2
What is the Course about?
Early Years Education and Care is a rapidly growing area in Ireland. This programme has been designed to facilitate and prepare students and current practitioners or those with an interest in early childhood education for leadership and management roles in the operation of early childhood education services and related public policy.
This Masters programme will develop students’ ability to both analyse, manage and creatively respond to critical issues and changes in early childhood care policy and service implementation, all the time being cognisant of the best interests of the child
Entry requirements are a Level 8 degree, with a minimum of Second-Class Honours, Grade 2 or equivalent in the following areas:
- Early Childhood Education and Care
- Applied Social Studies
- Social and Community Studies
- Youth and Community Work
- Social Sciences or cognate area
Candidates with significant relevant work experience (as determined by IT Carlow’s Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) policy), in addition to an honours primary degree in another discipline area may also be considered for entry.
Applicants applying for entry via routes other than those listed above will be considered on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with SETU’s Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) policy.
Further Study and Career Opportunities:
Graduates of the programme may progress to a PhD programme of study in the discipline areas, in Ireland or abroad. Graduates of the programme may also be eligible to progress to a professional doctorate in the field of teaching and learning in both Irish and international Institutions.
This is an ideal postgraduate programme for students or current practitioners within the early childhood education sector who are interested in becoming an administrator, director or manager of early childhood education programmes. It is also suitable for those interested in advisory, mentoring and inspection roles within the sector.
What will I be able to do when I finish this programme?
Graduates of this programme will be able to:
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the underlying theories and key concepts with a focus on leadership and critical assessment skills within an Irish and International context;
- Analyse the current theories, concepts, challenges and research areas with an ability to solve complex problems through a variety of reflective and participatory work;
- Exhibit critical awareness of contemporary issues and challenges relating to the role and effect of early years education on the child, the family and society;
- Apply the theory and practice of leadership roles in supporting quality;
- Engage in scholarly debate at an academic, policy and practice based level on a range of early year’s education and leadership issues;
- Develop, maintain and build on professional relationships fostered throughout the programme with practical skills and tools to reflect and critically self-evaluate;
- Gather, assimilate, synthesise and analyse information on a variety of levels;
- Critically reflect on how leadership practice in early year’s education connects to and interacts with wider social issues in Ireland and beyond.
What subjects will I study?
|Leadership, Strategy & Governance||10|
|Contemporary Issues in Early Years Policy, Theory & Practice||10|
|Arts based research in Early Years Education and Care||10|
|Leading Quality in Early Years Education and Care||10|
|Transformative Children’s Rights Education||10|
|Research Methods and Dissertation||30|
How do I apply?
Complete booking form and you will be contacted by one of our team, requesting a copy of your current qualifications – awarding body and reference number.
Cost and Payment Schedule:
The cost per year is €1,100. To pay in full, complete the booking form and pay now. However a payment plan is available. Please select invoice instead of pay now when completing the booking form. The payment schedule is as follows:
Deposit – €400 paid by 6th April 2023
Instalment 1 – €400 paid by 16th June 2023
Final Instalment – €400 paid by 1st September 2023